Sunday, April 5, 2009

Boyfriend Present


I love the gift-giving process.  Contemplating and selecting the right present for someone I know gives me a lot of pleasure.  I love receiving presents as well, but that's another post.

The boyfriend had a birthday last weekend.  For months I had thought I knew exactly what I was going to get him, having done the research at Christmas.  Then on the spur of the moment, I went to Dashwood Books.  The boyfriend and I have a history of going to photography shows: Lee Freedlander at MOMA; Stephen Shore at ICP; Ten Years in Focus: The Artist and the Camera at the Getty; William Eggleston at The Whitney.  Why not a good photography monograph?

At the store, David Strettell was lovely.  I threw the names of a couple of photographers at him and he pulled books from the shelves for me to consider.  Then I talked about my personal preferences and he pulled more books for me to enjoy.

Forty-five minutes later, I settled on Robert Adams' "The New West" and Henry Wessel's "Night Walk."  Present-hunting aside, I loved learning about why Sam Haskin's "Five Girls" was special.  Apart from the great-looking girls, the printing process produced very rich, grainy textures and deep, deep blacks.  I was more mesmerised by the blacks than anything else in the images.  Leafing through Slim Aaron's "A Wonderful Time" was just a pleasure.  The boyfriend loved the monographs.

There are all kinds of other places to find a boyfriend present or find a photography monograph, but why would I deny myself the great guidance and fun of going to Dashwood Books?

Dashwood Books
33 Bond Street
New York, NY 10012
(212) 387 8520

No comments:

Post a Comment