Saturday, November 20, 2010

Chicken Rice at The Chatterbox

The Boyfriend and I went on a mini break to Singapore a few weeks ago. Six days on the other side of the world! He had never been to Singapore. I grew up there and one of the things I miss the most about Singapore is the food. He was looking forward to trying all the things I talk about all the time. (I had planned on taking copious photos and put together a Singapore food journal. Unfortunately, I would dive headlong into most of the meals and only realise I forgot to shoot the picture when I came up for air mid-meal.)

One photo I managed was the first - late - lunch of the trip. (We had already decimated a breakfast of Mee Siam, Popiah, Sooh Kuey, Otah and Kaya Toast - hence the late lunch - when I looked to the right of my plate and saw my camera sitting on the table still ensconced in its case.)

The lunch - many hours later - had to be Chicken Rice at The Chatterbox. Flavourful, tender chicken in a savoury, slightly sweet sauce. Delicious, delicious savoury rice cooked in chicken broth / fat. Perfect, intense, sweet, thick soy sauce; perfect mellow ginger sauce and perfect chilli sauce with a kick. Everything tasted as I had remembered it. The boyfriend finally understood what I had been talking about for years and years.

Singaporeans take their Chicken Rice very seriously. There are debates about who makes the best Chicken Rice in Singapore. A friend of ours was taking us to have Chicken Rice at the Tien Tien stall in the Maxwell Food Centre. The taxi driver thought the one at Thomson Road was better. For me, there is no substitute. No trip to Singapore is complete without a trip to The Chatterbox for this dish. I've been eating this at The Chatterbox for as long as I can remember. It's my Proustian madeleine, really.

We also ordered an appetiser portion of Chicken Satay. I forgot to take the shot.

Chatterbox
1/F South Tower
Meritus Mandarin Hotel
333 Orchard Road
Singapore
(6831 6291)

No comments:

Post a Comment