Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tropical Storm


One of the great pleasures of our hotel room on our Singapore trip, was remote controlled blackout curtains. Pitch darkness at one push of a button. The only way I could tell night from day whenever I woke up was by sound - the discreet alarm clock was on the Boyfriend's side. The chorus of frogs meant that it was still night. Bird call - of many birds - meant that dawn was breaking. The steady sound of the waterfall alone meant that it was probably mid-morning.

A few days into our trip, I woke up to an unfamiliar sound. I had trouble putting my finger on it. No sound of frogs. No sound of birds, either. No sounds of people moving around outside. Then I realised what it was - the sound of the waterfall in stereo. I went out onto the balcony. It was a proper Tropical Storm. The skies had opened up and the palm trees around the pool flapped about wildly under the downpour and wind. It was still dark but the raindrops reflected so much light that the sky was a pink gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment