Thursday, August 1, 2013

Little Axe Salon

My hair stylist, Coby Alcantar, opened her own salon in July.  It is a measure of my devotion that I turned up in Williamsburg for an appointment at 9:15am (!!!!!) on a Saturday morning.  (I am not a morning person by any measure of the word.  The Husband can attest to that.  And the thought of crossing water to Brooklyn!)

Coby has cut my hair for, at least, eight years.  I followed her from Bumble & Bumble to Whittemore House and then on to Marie Robinson.  I was very traumatised when she moved back to the Bay Area.  (Over the years, whenever I read about some hot new hair stylist or heard a hair cut complaint, I would smugly think to myself, no one touches my hair but Coby.  Really.)  I hemmed and hawed like mad, having collected recommendations from friends, magazines and blogs.  It was a great relief when she returned to New York.  There was really never a question that I would follow her wherever she went.

So this past Saturday, I set the alarm clock and got on the L train.  It was really quick.  I even had time to stop by the Swedish Cafe next to the subway station for a very good decaf soy cappucino and gluten free apple cheese scone, before a leisurely stroll down Bedford Avenue over to the salon.  It took less time than to get from my house to Whittemore House or to Marie Robinson.  Surprisingly, it was considerably less hectic.

And what a lovely, cozy salon:





Whittemore House - a salon in the basement of a historic townhouse with armchairs, etc. - felt quite home-y, but quite baroque, to me.  Marie Robinson felt like the exact opposite - all sleek, white surfaces and shiny, steel finishes.  Little Axe feels like the love child of the two salons - dark woods and metals, but clean, white walls and light wood surfaces - the perfect combination of both.

Needless to say, the my hair cut was great. The hair cut itself will be the subject of an upcoming post.

I love that Coby intuitively knows what I want without my having to articulate it.  I love that she can predict how I will feel about a particular style.  And I always feel as if the hair cut has barely begun when she is done - she is both a fast hair stylist and a complete pleasure to spend time with.

I was done within an hour and hopped on the train back to Manhattan.  I had the day ahead of me!

Little Axe Salon
124 Bedford Avenue
Entrance on North 10th
Brooklyn, NY 11211
(718) 388 4700
www.littleaxesalon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment