Thursday, August 8, 2013

My Barbour Beaufort Jacket


I am a little confounded by how I have a Barbour Beaufort jacket which is a men's size 40.  It is way too big for me.  Yet, I wore it through art school and many years after.  I think it was a different time and wearing something oversized did not seem so odd then.

Still.  It has been quite a while since I last wore the jacket.  I think it was a rainstorm and I was certainly dry, but I did rattle around in it.  So when I started the latest wave of clearing and organising, the jacket was on the to-go list.  Bags of clothes went out, but I could never bring myself to send the jacket away.

Recently, I read Lizzie Garrett Mettler's blog, Tomboy Style, about "Worn-In Classics".  Of course, I thought of the jacket.  I had another look.  It had been re-waxed a couple of months ago and looked almost as good as new.   The sleeves and hem had been reinforced sometime years ago and there was a tear on one of the pockets...  But these details gave the jacket its particular character.

Big as it is, the jacket is not going anywhere.  

No comments:

Post a Comment