Saturday, August 3, 2013

What DO They Mean?

I was walking by the construction site for the condominiums which will one day occupy what was once St. Vincent's Hospital today, when I looked up and saw this:



(From the 11th Street side, I am always a little taken aback by just how deep the hospital building was.)  From the looks of the construction signs, this will be a huge condominium development - five buildings and five townhouses.  In fact, I keep thinking that the place will feel like a condominium campus - as in the grounds of a bunch of condominium buildings.

Today, I came across two more construction sign advertisements:



These signs made me wonder all sorts of things, among them, "Which war are they referring to?" and "Which century are they referring to?"  I know I was being cheeky.  "Pre-war" and "mid-century" have become shorthand for styles of architecture and design.

Now I may follow the development of the buildings on the internets as a matter of curiosity.  A quick google search and I have gleaned that one façade of the hospital may survive.  Also, I wondered how they were going to put a pre-war building next to a mid-century building and make them look, somehow, parts of a coherent project, but the brick and stone-work seem to be the key here.

Still, I cannot quite help rolling my eyes at the advertising copy.

And, being a superstitious Asian person, I will always wonder about restless spirits in former hospital sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment