Sunday, July 21, 2013

Gluten Free Donuts


One of the first things I noticed when I had to give up gluten, was that the opportunities for randomly eating all manner of desserts, cakes and pastries were severely diminished.  For someone with a sweet tooth, curtailing my sugar intake was not a bad thing.  Also, I felt so much better - less bloated, better digestion, much less exhausted in general - that giving up gluten was a small-ish price to pay.

Nowadays, the gluten free options available are really quite plentiful.  Many food shops in the city have gluten free sections and restaurants have separate gluten free menus.  Not everything tastes as good as the gluten laden original, however.  So I had pretty much given up hope that I would be eating really good donuts again.

A couple of weeks ago, the ladies on the Lunch Studio blog wrote about the Carpe Donut truck and I suddenly started missing donuts terribly.  (The last time I had eaten donuts was a little over a year ago at The Donut Plant.  It was glorious.  I must have eaten five - yes, five - donuts in one sitting.  Of course, my system paid for it.  So much so that I concluded that I would not be eating donuts again for a long, long time.)  When I chanced upon the Carpe Donut truck, I bought The Husband a couple of the donuts.  He gave them his seal of approval.  He was not especially impressed by the first one, but the next day, he said that the texture of the second donut was perfect and he understood what the fuss was about.  I felt quite smug that I managed to resist said donuts sitting on the kitchen counter.

Then that weekend, I found myself at Elm Health.  I decided to investigate their gluten free frozen food section.  I vaguely remember donuts...  And there they were:  Kinnikinnick Foods, Cinnamon Sugar Donuts.  I hemmed and hawed before putting the box in my basket.  Life is too short.  Sometimes, a girl just needs her donuts.

By the time I got home after all the errands, the donuts had thawed sufficiently to try one.  IT WAS GOOD!!!  What was even better, was when The Husband ate half the donut and declared the texture to be as good as the one he had had from Carpe Donut.

Now I will have to try the Maple Glazed ones.  Then again, sometimes finding really good substitutes for the foods we have to eat less of may not be so good...  For the waistline.

Elm Health
56 7th Avenue
Between 13th & 14th Streets
(212) 255 6300
elmhealth.net

www.kinnikinnick.com

No comments:

Post a Comment