Friday, July 5, 2013

Makeshift Sort-Of Eton Mess


The Husband and I had dinner with some family Monday night at Noho Star.  (I love that after all these years, the place hasn't changed much.)  For dessert, we ordered a Hot Fudge Sundae and something called, Lillie Langtry's Raspberry-Yogurt Meringue.  I think Hot Fudge Sundae is pretty self-explanatory.  Lillie Langtry's Raspberry-Yogurt Meringue turned out to be yoghurt mixed with raspberries and meringue pieces.  It was very good.  Halfway through eating it, I realised it was a variation on Eton Mess.  Instead of strawberries, cream and meringue, we had raspberries, yoghurt and meringue.

Needless to say, I thought about Eton Mess all week.  Last night, after a particularly satisfying meal at Red Farm (deserves a post all its own), I wanted to try making Eton Mess at home.  I knew we had fresh berries from the Farmers' Market.  So it was just a matter for getting the cream and meringue.  All the shops were closed.

So for tonight, I was better prepared.  I bought meringues from Le Pain Quotidien early in the afternoon.  I decided that instead of whipped cream, I'd just use some goat's milk yoghurt from the Farmers' Market we had lying in the fridge.  The preparation was pretty quick:  our extra liquid-y yoghurt in a bowl, followed by blueberries, raspberries and strawberries, and finished off with chopped pieces of meringue.  The slivered, blanched almonds in the meringue were a plus.  It was finished off pretty quickly.

For presentation's sake, it probably would have photographed better if I had put the meringue in first and topped it with the berries.  Also, the meringue bits could have been smaller, but I was a little impatient.  There are a couple of variations to this I would like to try:  Maple Tofu Whip (from Angelica Kitchen) instead of the yoghurt; homemade meringue sweetened with either maple syrup or honey.  All will be good, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment