Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Golden Summer


The thick of summer, or rather, the middle of a heatwave seems like a good time to blog about golden hues and a bit of shimmer.

As I assembled the little collection for the image, I realised that I bought all these items in the middle of  cold weather.  I can't properly remember when the gold Chanel blush came into my life, but I would seriously think twice about putting it on my cheeks now, it's been so long.  It looked fine on the back of my hand.  So it will make a good shimmery highlight for my collarbones.  The Chanel nail varnish, Curieux, was bought at Christmas in London well over ten years ago!  The Shu Uemura was bought at Thanksgiving in London well over ten years ago as well!  More recently, the RMS Solar eyeshadow was bought probably within the last couple of years, as was the Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse Or.

As is evidenced in the image, I am very sparing with my make up use.  Some of it is habit - I don't wear make up in my everyday life - and some of it is just sheer laziness.  I always think I will present a more polished face to the world, but I wonder about the point when I am just running off to pick up a carton of almond milk and a bunch of bananas.  (I once read an interview with Estee Lauder in which she demonstrated that she sold her make up based on the premise that one should always be prepared, i.e. wearing make up, for romance to appear any time.  But she had never been to my local Whole Foods.)

Lately I have been using Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse Or after my showers.  I love how it glides on my skin and sinks in.  It has a lovely soft scent.  I'm a little ambivalent about the shimmer, however.  It goes EVERYWHERE.  There's a fine coating of shimmer on my pillow and, I'm sure, on my side of the bed now.  I am thinking of the Huile Prodigieuse without the Or the next time around.  For a change, I may go for the Nars Monoi Body Shimmer, again without the shimmer.  (I used this many years ago and that bottle lasted for AGES.)

Mini product review aside, I know I get these sorts of items in the midst of winter because I long for warmer, longer, brighter days and see whatever little pot of "sunshine" as a sign of hope those days will come.  I order the little bit of hope, coo over it loving when it arrives, admire it and look forward to the summer days when the stuff will look perfect on my summer complexion.  Then months and months go by.  By the time summer arrives and my brain has frozen many time over before thawing and then melting, and...  I find the items a couple of years later for a blog post.


No comments:

Post a Comment